Switzer Veterinary Clinic offers a variety of services for large and small animals as well as some exotics.
The list below includes most services our clinic has to offer the Alpena area and surrounding Northeastern Michigan communities.
Please contact us regarding services if you do not see it on this list.
Small Animal Services
- Comprehensive Physical Exam: Every time your pet comes in for a visit he/she will get a full physical exam. We recommend yearly examination for young and adult animals and twice yearly exams for the senior pet.
- Vaccinations: Vaccinations are key to prevent contagious diseases. We follow the AAHA recommendations for vaccinating your cat and/or dog.
- Heartworm Testing and Prevention: Heartworm is a parasite spread by mosquitoes. It is a serious condition that occurs in both cats and dogs. Our clinic offers in-house testing for both cats and dogs. We also carry appropriate products to treat and prevent this disease.
- Fecal Examinations and Appropriate Treatment Medications.
- Dental Care: Your cat and dog need a dentist too! A healthy mouth is a healthy pet as dental disease can lead to other health problems such as heart and kidney disease. From routine dental cleanings to tooth extractions we provide services to keep your pet’s mouth healthy.
- In-clinic Blood Testing: Within a short amount of time we can use these diagnostic blood machines to screen and monitor blood levels and organ function.
- In-clinic Radiography (x-ray) and Ultrasonography (ultrasound) can help us “see” the inside of your pet.
- Surgery: including spays, neuters/castration, feline declaws, mass removals, cruciate repair, bone fracture repair, ear hematoma repair and laceration repair.
- Oncology: We provide services to diagnose, treat and monitor cancer in both cats and dogs.
- Hospitalization: We are able to provide hospitalization services for ill pets that need more than out-patient care.
- Emergency Services: We offer 24/7 emergency care every day of the week and holidays.
- Vetstreet Pet Portal: Personalized webpage for your pet allowing you to request appointments, refill pharmacy medications, access vaccination records, set up medication reminders all from the comforts of your own home. A free service complements of Switzer Veterinary Clinic.
- Acupuncture: Dr. Ryan Knight is a certified veterinary acupuncturist and is one of the only veterinary acupuncturist in the Alpena area! Acupuncture can be used to help treat many ailments and is used in conjunction with current veterinary practices.
- Wellness Examinations: We recommend yearly wellness examination for all ages and breeds.
- Ambulatory Service: We come to you!
- Vaccinations: Vaccinations are key to preventing infectious diseases. We strive to provide the best vaccination protocol for your horse.
- Fecal examinations and appropriate deworming programs for your horse
- Dental Care: Horses need dentists too! We use modern equipment to keep your horse’s teeth in proper alignment and free of sharp points.
- In clinic Blood Testing: Our blood machines allow us to monitor your horse’s health in the clinic.
- Portable Radiography (X-ray): Our portable X-ray unit allows us to take pictures of your horse on the farm.
- Portable Ultrasonography: Our portable ultrasound machine allows us to monitor your horse for breeding, diagnose pregnancy and monitor fetal development. We can also use this machine to look at your tendons/ligaments in its legs.
- Lameness Evaluation: Lameness can be frustrating. With a lameness evaluation we may be able to find and address the reason behind your horse’s limp.
- Pre-purchase Examinations: Thinking of buying a new horse? A pre-purchase examination can help you make a more informed purchase.
- New Foal Examinations: The first day in a horse’s life is critical to its future health. We recommend every new foal and its dam be thoroughly evaluated to ensure both are healthy.
- Geriatric Care: As your horse ages his/her dietary and medical needs changes. Our doctors understand this and can help make your horse’s geriatric years golden.
- Routine Surgeries: such as castrations (gelding), surgical biopsies and laceration repairs are routinely done on the farm. We can also perform other surgeries such as tooth extraction and eye removals.
- Reproductive Services: Thinking of breeding your mare? We are able to follow your mare’s heat cycle with our ultrasound to determine her optimum time for pregnancy conception. We are also able to artificially inseminate your mare with cooled semen from the stallion of your choice.
- Emergency Service 24/7 is provided for our clients where we come to you!
- Vetstreet Pet Portals: An online webpage for your horse where you can access vaccination history and reminders, request farm vistits and pharmacy refills from the comforts of your own home. A free service complements of Switzer Veterinary Clinic.
- Acupuncture: Dr. Ryan Knight is a certified veterinary acupuncturist and is the only veterinary acupuncturist in the Alpena Area. Acupuncture can be used to help treat many ailments and is used in conjunction with current veterinary practices.
Food Animal and Small Ruminant Services
- Ambulatory Service: We come to you!
- Dairy Herd Health Examination: Enroll in our Dairy Herd Health program and receive a discount!
- Preventative Services: We can formulate an appropriate deworming and vaccination protocol for your herd.
- In-house Milk Cultures: Bring us milk samples from your cows so that we can culture the specific bacteria that is causing mastitis in your cows.
- In-clinic Blood Testing.
- Portable X-ray: Have a lame animal – our portable X-ray machine can help find the cause.
- Portable Ultrasound: Have a cow that doesn’t breed back? Our ultrasound can help diagnose reasons for reproductive failure in cows.
- Routine Surgeries: Castrations, dehorning/debuding, laceration repairs and Left Displaced Abomasum correction are performed on the farm.
- Emergency Services for clients is available 24/7 where we come to you!
- Tuberculosis Testing and Reading.
- Acupuncture: Dr. Ryan Knight is a certified veterinary acupuncturist and is the only veterinary acupuncturist in the Alpena area. Acupuncture can be used to help treat many ailments and is used in conjunction with current veterinary practices.